There are essentially eight different types of coverage - some required by law and some optional, including:
- Bodily Injury Liability for injuries the policyholder causes to someone else.
- Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) for treatment of injuries to the driver and passengers of the policyholder's car.
- Property Damage Liability for damage the policyholder causes to property owned by someone else.
- Collision coverage for damage to the policyholder's car from a collision.
- Comprehensive coverage for damage to the policyholder's car not involving a collision with another car (including damage from fire, explosions, earthquakes, floods, and riots), and theft.
- Uninsured Motorists coverage for costs resulting from an accident involving a hit-and-run driver or a driver who does not have insurance.
- Roadside Assistance.
- Rental Reimbursement for the rental of a car if involved in a covered loss.