Home : Products and Services : Business Insurance : Jewelers Block Insurance : Jewelers Safety Tips
Opening and Closing Guidelines
- Observe your surroundings when you arrive.
- Inspect the perimeter of the store for any signs of a possible break-in.
- Open and close with two people; someone should watch from a safe distance and have a cellular phone.
- As soon as you enter the business, re-lock the door.
- With the doors locked, remove valuables from safes or vault to prepare for the work date.
- Distribute high-value merchandise throughout the store in strategic areas away from entrances.
- Never unlock your doors to anyone who is not an employee while you are preparing to open.
- At the end of the business day and after customers have left; lock your doors before placing as much merchandise as possible in safes or vaults.
Everyday Reminders - A Checklist For Your Store
- Inspect showcases several times daily for tampering.
- Exercise proper key control; never leave keys on hooks or on counters, and use wrist key holders.
- Keep showcases locked when unattended
- Show one item at a time.
- Greet each customer who enters the store.
- Always ask outside salespeople, delivery people, etc. for proper identification before doing business with them.